Monday, November 28, 2011

Jingle Someone!

We recently moved to a different part of the same metro area. Our old neighborhood was, well, very old. It was one of the first "suburbs" built around 80 years ago. It's a mix of older grandparents and young singles and couples with young families peppered in. It's a tight little community, about 6500 in our "city". Even though it is minutes from downtown, it definitely has a small town feel to it. You really do get to know quite a lot of people around the area. So, to my point, last Halloween, "You've Been Booed" went around. If you can't be bothered to click the link, it is a secret gift game. You leave treats and printouts at two houses. They have a couple of days to "boo it forward" so to speak. You aren't supposed to know who booed you, and you need to boo in secret, as well. It was really a lot of fun watching it spread...and, boy, did it spread!

Well, fast forward to now. We're in a much more suburban area. It is actually were I grew up. I am literally a few blocks from my old house and my old elementary school. We've only been here a few months. but our street seems pretty friendly. We know they have an annual block party because it was happening the weekend we moved in. When we took Bean trick-or-treating, everyone was really nice and knew we had just moved in. (Is that friendly, creepy, nosey? Perspective...) Anyway, I wanted to start a "boo", but time got away from me. I was so excited when I found their sister site, "You've been Jingled". I've been waiting a whole month to start this! Gasp!

So, tonight, I ding-dong-ditched two neighbors. I only remember doing this once as a kid. It was to my friend down the block. Her mom marched straight up to my house to tell my parents. Seriously? I mean, I have a kid now. I fully expect this to happen to us. Ok, so I go to an empty door. Is it really worth a trip up the street? I was also made painfully aware of the fact that I really need to start jogging again. Now, I know that I say I try to avoid processed foods. I love making baked treats or candies, but since this is anonymous, I needed something from the store. I went with coca and holiday marshmallows. The two houses I jingled are families. I thought it would be a fun treat to share. Man, I will be severely disappointed if these little elf pictures don't line the street by Christmas.

  

Why don't you start a "jingle" in your neighborhood or office? Go outside the box. Start a white elephant jingle, a book exchange jingle, whatever strikes your fancy. It's a fun way to spread the holidays around to friends and coworkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment